3 most popular ways are;
1. Emboss/De boss
2. Letter Press using Ink and variations
3. Partial embossing
Embossing folders are the easiest to use and gives a wow effect to backgrounds. Which comes to the first way to use them
- Embossing/De Bossing this is the simplest you start by placing you paper inside the folder and sandwiching and running it through your big shot. Depending on the look you are going for one side is your embossed and the reverse is de bossed side. The side with the logo is the embossed or raised look and no logo of course would be the debossed side.
- The next one I found that had a cool effect was using ink and the folder like a letter press. You start by deciding which side of the folder that you want to use either the raised side or the impressed side. Once you have chosen your side apply ink to the folder either by direct from the ink pad, using a sponge or, a brayer, then carefully placing your cardstock in to the folder trying not to smudge the ink, and run it through the big shot. Wait a few seconds after running it through to open and remove your cardstock. This is adds a cool effect to your backgrounds.
- A variation of this you can take your stamps and stamp on the inside of the folder and then place your cardstock inside and run it through your big shot.
- Another variation using versa mark ink you can double emboss. Take your versa mark ink pad apply it to the inside of the folder place your cardstock carefully inside and run it through the big shot, once its has gone through open the folder and place embossing powder over the area and heat set. This gives a shinny and a raised look at the same time.
- Partial embossing, this is where you can use a hole-punch, or a die cut piece of cardstock over the outside of your folder, then place your cardstock to be embossed inside the folder and then run it through the big shot. This leaves a void in your embossed paper where the cardstock was on the outside of the folder.
All of these techniques for using embossing folders are fun to use and gives a special "Zing" to your work. Give them a try.
Stampin'Up has a wide variety of embossing folders and different types. They are a must have in the stamping world needed to enhance your card making. Click on "Shop Now" and go to my on-line Stampin'Up store and check them out. You can order yours while you are in the store and start creating beautiful background for your card making.